Ambroid
Home Create News Forums Kills HOF Links Premium Ranking Page
Ambroid Forums

Vangelis Posted: 20-05-2012 23:15:46
Vangelis

Alliance: 3
…Of a time when Ambroid thrived.

That is, of course, if you would indulge me. Some of you may find this piece enlightening. Others, incredibly boring. I personally couldn’t care less; I’ve proved myself on Ambroid time and time again over ten years and have done more than most for the game I loved… and still do.

Looking around now I see scant few users left over from the “glory days” class of ’02-’05 when Ambroid was at its peak. By way of this I mean thousands upon thousands of active, intelligent users, epic short and long term conflicts raging all day and night along with myriad, hundred-page plus discussions in a populated forum that saw a new thread spawned every couple of minutes. Believe it or not, all of these things were actually once commonplace, and I’m not even over-exaggerating either – users ignored the pleas of others to stay up all night to await the military reset and hit an opponent or engage in witty chaffing on the forums in marathon spam sessions that would stretch into the early hours. Kids and adults alike played this game and didn’t care one bit how quaint or cheesy it seemed.

So then, who am I? One of the old users lamenting the state of the game, stuck in the past, dissatisfied with the current crop of players? A boring nobody with nothing better to do but moan? Another idiot with another pointless opinion? Well, perhaps all these things you may think, but that is your right. After all, we do live in democracies, or would like to think we do. Rather than bore you with the intricate details and stand accused of arrogance before I even begin, I would decline to elaborate any further and leave that decision up to you – like I said before, that is not why I’m here. My question is a rhetorical one; where did it all go wrong for Ambroid?

You may or may not be surprised by my answer – I don’t believe it did. When Jason (aka Darkstar,) first created Ambroid all those years ago a majority of users were still relying on dial-up connections and wireless was a weird and wonderful invention that allowed us to connect without Ethernet. Today, we’re talking fibre-optic, 4G and remote server access. Ambroid is, to put it simply, a victim of change. It won’t be the first and by no means will be the last.

To elaborate, I am of the opinion that the text-based browser game has had its day. Similar creations have adapted, changed with the times, bankrolled by a successful entrepreneur or organisation (i.e. Bigpoint,) that now have multiple but essentially carbon-copy duplicate games in place to double or triple their revenue. If Ambroid had fully utilised the oft-mocked Space server, created a naval warfare offshoot or perhaps found a way to link them all together it could have grown into something special. Something worth noticing. However, it takes time and dedication to create something like that, a team working together in harmony for mutually beneficial results – one cannot simply sit back and hope the money starts pouring in, leaving the entity to grow or fail on its own. Likewise, Admins, no matter who they are need help - support from friends and family to make their venture succeed, or if it fails, be there for them.

Take a look at games like Call of Duty and the Battlefield series. Their creators gauged the market was leaning away from strategy games (Age of Empires, Dawn of War etc.) and the impetus shifting critically towards the first person shooter with online accessibility. They gave the people what they wanted while those guiding the strategy genre adapted, retaining a majority of their principles while remaining flexible and open to change, explaining why now today they are still in business while others have gone under (take Cavedog, the makers of Total Annihilation.) Ambroid was once like this – an innovative creation with an engaged, helpful interactive community of active users. You didn’t have to wait days or hours for replies on the forum. Threads were hundreds of pages long. The forum had sub-forums and they had sub-forums. Mods and users bantered back and forth for hours on end. It wasn’t just about money – it was about the freedom of expression. Ideas were welcomed and merged with the developer’s own. Certain people might not like what I am saying but it has to be said and I am sick of today’s society where everyone is treading on eggshells and scared of saying something that might upset someone or offend their oversized ego. To these people I simply say – GTFO NOOB.

Ahem.

Many businesses struggle to adapt in testing economic circumstances and when they try, they tend to alienate their target audience. Take Games Workshop for example. A successful, close-knit company unafraid to experiment and try something new. Then, they sell out and begin to care less what the people want or think and want more and more money. Yes, they might be richer, but are they more successful now? The original customer base would argue otherwise. Of Ambroid, where did all the players like Karek, Hajj, King, Tornado, Sanguinius, Sup, Julian, and Darkassassin go? Did new players chase them off? Did they grow up? No, of course not. They might have got older but that alone wouldn’t have prevented them playing Ambroid.

I’m not pointing the finger of blame at anyone on here for the downfall of Ambroid. Change has claimed another victim, pure and simple. Mike brought the game fair and square from Jason many years ago in a business move that seemed at the time to be tactically astute, but should Jason’s willingness to sell have set alarm bells ringing at that stage in the first place? Credit to Mike and Ash, who both took the game on with the intention of making it better, but even then it could have been argued that text-based games had already entered into their twilight years. Today, more and more people are forced to venture into the world of self-employment, and this means more online games emerge on a regular basis with the latest technology to back them. I would love for anyone on here to debate and prove me wrong. This is merely my own humble opinion, it is not the gospel truth and by no means the definitive answer and I’m not offering any solutions – it’s not my concern any more - but some things are better said than unsaid.

ShadowOD Posted: 21-05-2012 15:07:43
Alliance: 0
Just for reading this. I have decided to join back again :)

I do miss the old days and the huge wars... :']
But forever they will be the old days.
Unless something changes here. Even if its just a updated graphical interface and more advertising.

DarkYoda Posted: 22-05-2012 08:30:23
As have I, and I'll talk to Torny about rejoining. When's the next season reset? Maybe we could all try recruit previous players for next season. I know recruitment attempts have severly failed in the past but next season can't really do too much worse than the current.

me21 Posted: 24-05-2012 01:25:09
me21

Alliance: 1
Plus any attempt to make a dominant alliance in game has been followed up with threats to break up the alliance from higher powers. The definition of a dominant alliance isnt anything of what it used to be. Now it means having 10 semiactive members.

As for the freedom of expression we have been threatened as of late with being banned in fears of our "curse words" chasing off new players. Even in chat our words are censored and we have limited ability as to what we can and can't say with.

What Ambroid needs is a revamp. What made it once great has been taken from game. What once involved working in teams has been discredited and changed in favor of a individual user base system where users are encouraged to work alone. What once made ambroid great is now gone and now we wonder why this game is losing users on a daily basis.

DarkYoda Posted: 24-05-2012 07:11:34
Alliance: 1
Yeah so I spoke to Torny...... he isn't returning

ShadowOD Posted: 24-05-2012 16:30:31
Me21 +1

Indy Posted: 26-05-2012 23:01:36
For some reason I thought I would check out ambroid considering I haven't been on in years and happened upon this post. Reading it has made me want to join up again... When is the season reset happening, need to sharpen up again lol.

DarkYoda Posted: 28-05-2012 13:26:53
27 Days, 23 Hours, 33 Minutes from when this message was posted

Vangelis Posted: 30-05-2012 15:46:05
Vangelis

http://generalsquad.proboards.com/index.cgi

OMFG nostalgia...

Namoa Posted: 07-10-2012 07:50:19
yup yup this is a chill game.. ben playin for years now, probabaly around 6 or 7 years now, off and on. I love how this games been around for awhile, and it never gets old for me. thanks guys for keepin it alive

Pages: [1]

To post on this forum, you must be a member of the game.

Login
User:  
Pass:  
(Create An Account)
(Forgot Your Details?)

Other Versions

Donate
Valid HTML 4.01 Transitional